Thursday, November 30, 2006

Rough Day...But All Went Well

Daddy getting ready to take Gavin into surgery.

Daddy getting ready to take Lincoln into surgery.


The day started by feeding Gavin at 4:30. Praise God that we didn't get the snow and ice that was in the forecast. Jamie and I went back to bed and slept for another hour. Then got up and headed to Iowa City. Fed Lincoln on the way. I was feeling EXTREMELY sick. Day 4 with the flu bug - AGAIN! This time no vomitting but diarrhea. I'm so dehydrated I only was able to pump 2 ounces! (Compared to the 12 ounces I've been pumping lately.) Got to the hospital and things went sooo smoothly. The nurses were ALL so nice I couldn't believe it! Jamie was able to go in with Gavin to be there until they put him to sleep. He said it was a bit disturbing. Gavin was fighting it but finally fell asleep and looked dead. I was having extreme stomach cramps. I was useless. Jamie took care of Lincoln while Gavin had his surgery. 2 hours later they came out and said the surgery was done and went well. I was going to go in with Lincoln - but couldn't because I felt like I was going to pass up every time I sat upright or tried to stand. And the stomach cramps were so bad. One of the nurses gave me some ibuprofen and Jamie and I grabbed some lunch while Gavin was in recovery. That really seemed to help. Jamie took care of Gavin while Lincoln was in surgery. 2 hours later his surgery was done and it went well too. They had to give him extra pain medication during surgery because his heart rate was spiking. He came out of anesthesia very irritable. He cried a lot and was just not happy at all the way Gavin was. It just hit him a bit harder I guess. I was finally feeling a little better and able to take care of Gavin. I was able to pinpoint my stomach pain to my left kidney...and think I may have a kidney stone. When I got home I downed some percocet and am feeling a lot better now...although I can still feel the discomfort every time I lift something, lean to the left or take a deep breath. It was a rough day. We left at 6 this morning and got home at 6:30 tonight. But so thankful that God was there holding us up. I am very sad that I was so useless and was in so much pain that I could give very little attention to my boys. They are very swollen. They have a catheter in that will be removed next week. They have been given four different drugs - three for pain relief, one to fight off any possible infections.

Grandma is watching Grace and Vaughn. Although she is sick too. They love her so much and I'm so thankful to have someone I love and trust so much to take care of my babies when I can't.

Nana stayed with Lucy today and took her to school. Lucy loved it. She said they were going to watch a movie, play with playdough and eat popcorn. Came home to a clean house which was so nice since I feel so cruddy.

Starting to feel lightheaded again...so I'm going to bed.

2 comments:

Cassie said...

glad to hear thigs went fairly smooth. we'll keep you in our thoughts and prayers. take care of yourselves....

Anonymous said...

Thanx for the update...even when you are not feeling well. Prayers are up for quick healing for the boys and for renewed strength and improved health for you...

Call if you need help...we only live about 4 blocks away.

Love you guys