Thursday, February 01, 2007

Three?

So with Lincoln and Gavin gone, I told Jamie that this is what our house would always be like if we hadn't had triplets. It's been strangely quiet. We both agree that we are glad we had three. We love them so much and can't imagine life without all five.

We're in the process of planning their first birthday party. I can hardly believe how close it is. Just over 2 months away. Isn't it amazing how quick a year goes by...but it feels like we've been doing this our whole lives. I think back to the day before I had the boys. I took the girls for a walk at Nana's house. I was barefoot and everyone thought I was crazy...and a bit amazed that I could still walk. I was a bit amazed too. Went into labor at Mom's house. Drove to Iowa City in the middle of the night. Was stopped by a tow truck pulling a car out of a ditch in front of a house that was completely engulfed in flames. I was having major contractions and knew we didn't have time for this delay. Got to the hospital and was dilated to a 7 already. The hospital lost my records. It was Easter Sunday. My regular high-risk doctor was on a cruise. The back up high-risk doctor is a Bishop and wouldn't be working that day because it was Easter. I start crying because my records are lost, my doctors are gone, and no one knows that I'm supposed to deliver c-section. I can't believe what a blur it all is now. After an hour of just me and Jamie and a nurse...we suddently get swarmed. People needing signatures, giving me an IV, checking my cervix, and poking me everywhere. Isn't it amazing how when you're feeling so miserable it doesn't matter who sees you naked. The low point of the delivery...the spinal block. They wouldn't let Jamie come in which made me nervous because it was during the epidural for Grace that my heart rate and her heart rate dropped so low that several people rushed in the room and about did a c-section to get her out. But I'm leaning over the bed, as best I can with three babies in my belly, and I get a contraction. Tears are streaming down my face. The nurse has the anathesiologist wait. Then when the contraction is over he tries again. I start crying. The nurse asks if I'm having another contraction and I bawl, "I'm not ready for three babies". She says "you'll do just fine". And I bitterly think, "How do you know, you don't know me?" and "Easy for you to say." But she was just trying to be sensitive. Finally they get me doped up, stripped down, and covered with a blue sheet. They let Jamie back in the room. But he has to go straight to the seat they have waiting for him next to my head. The only people I see are him, another anethesiologist, and a couple people over my left shoulder. He says there are several people around my belly. I go from having a high risk doctor...to a resident doctor. Yes, a resident delivered my babies. There were actually at least three doctors that I couldn't see. The resident who delivered the boys, the main doctor that the resident looked at to be sure she was doing ok, and another doctor Jamie believes to be a resident by the way he was "hands off" and just watching. Each baby was handed off to a team of four nurses. He said there were at least 20 people total. Jamie kept peaking over the blue sheet. He said when the doctor pulled Gavin out he was still in his amniotic sac. And when she tried to pull Vaughn out, he was stuck. So she put him back. She looked at the main doctor and he nodded his head like "keep going". So she picked him up and pulled harder and he came out. I remember very little. I remember my body being shaken from all the pulling of babies and pulling apart of my belly (skin). I didn't feel it, but my body was being shaken back and forth...like if you're on a really bumpy road. I also remember that it took FOREVER for her to sew me back up. I was feeling very nauseous from the drugs.

Then I spent the next 28 days in and out of the hospital with these beautiful little boys. I started pumping every 1 1/2 - 2 hours during the day and every three hours overnight so that I could train my body to produce enough milk for three babies. At first it was only an ounce or two. I didn't ever think I'd produce enough. But it gradually increased. The most I've ever pumped is 28 ounces...but I produced 20 ounces on a regular basis once I got established (that is 2 full baby bottles). Then to bring those little guys home and try to figure out that schedule. The first three weeks we had grandparents with us, helping us feed babies around the clock. The next two months we had volunteers come in and feed babies - every feeding but the 2 am one. By the third month we were eliminating the 2am feeding. Then somewhere around 5 months they were sleeping from 8 pm - 6 am. And by sleeping I mean not eating. With three babies using pacifiers, we are up a lot in the middle of the night putting them back in their mouths. Didn't start solids until about 6 months. The boys started learning to roll...and then crawl. Vaughn still doesn't crawl...but he loves his Johnny Jump Up and he talks a lot more. We still have people who come over and help during the week to give us a couple hours without kids. They've been brave and stuck with us...becoming our family here.

I can't believe how much our lives have changed over these past 9 months. So again...it's gone by quickly but seems like we've been doing it forever. Every time we feel like we get on schedule...the schedule changes. But boy, I can't imagine life any other way. I can't imagine if we only had three instead of five. Weird.

2 comments:

Ernie and Mindy said...

My eyes got all teary as I read the story of that night. I could feel and remember your stress and apprehension and frustration and excitement all over as I read it...but I know that the empathy I feel as I read it and remember back to then isn't even a fraction of what it REALLY felt like to you!

Very cool post. :)

Anonymous said...

Awesome Karen! You are the best writer and mom!!